Global Day of Action! #KAIROSClimateAction
Today we mark the Global Climate Strike – also known as the Global Day of Climate Action. Fridays for Future (FFF) started this youth-led global climate strike movement in August 2018, when 15-year-old Greta Thunberg began a school strike for climate. She was soon joined by other students and their actions sparked an international awakening, with students and activists uniting around the globe.
Their demands are straightforward:
- Keep the global temperature rise below 1.5 °C compared to pre-industrial levels.
- Ensure climate justice and equity.
- Listen to the best united science currently available.
The theme of this year’s climate strike is #UprootTheSystem, which puts a focus on the intersectionality of the climate crisis. “The dominance of the Global North over MAPA (most affected people and areas) through different systems, such as: colonialism, discrimination, and climate injustice – and particularly the Global North’s outsized contribution to global emissions, is at the root of this crisis,” states FFF. “Without listening to MAPA, embracing intersectionality, and uprooting this system, we have no hope of stopping the climate crisis.”
Read more about #UprootTheSystem from Fridays for Future International.
Day of action! What you can do.
- Join an online event in support of the Global Day of Climate Action or join an in-person climate strike in your area (following COVID protocols). See the map from Fridays for Future Canada for events in your area.
- Join Development & Peace at 1pm ET for the online kick-off of their new People and Planet First campaign! They will share the message and action of the campaign and promote future campaign workshops and events. There will also be an opportunity to join Spirits in Prayer to those who are on the streets striking for the climate. Make a poster with either ONE of the words (PEOPLE, PLANET or FIRST) and bring it to the Kick-off and Prayer! Click Here to Register.
- Support the work of youth climate activists worldwide by donating to their campaigns, amplifying their messages, and standing with them in solidarity for our shared future. Here are a few groups to check out:
- Fridays for Future Canada
- Fridays for Future Toronto
- Indigenous Climate Action’s Youth Program
- Youth Advocates for Climate Action Philippines