DAY OF ACTION! Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty #KAIROSClimateAction
The Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation treaty is a global initiative to phase out fossil fuels and support a just transition. Fifty years ago, the world needed a treaty to defuse the threats posed by nuclear weapons. Today, humanity’s biggest threat is our failure to mitigate climate change. The burning of fossil fuels is responsible for almost 80 percent of carbon dioxide emissions. Allowing their continued expansion is unacceptable. The Paris Agreement does not even mention oil, gas or coal. We need a global treaty that calls for a wind down of fossil fuels.
Non-proliferation was recently affirmed by the International Energy Agency’s Net-Zero by 2050 report, which concluded there is no need for investment in new fossil fuel supply to reach net-zero. No new oil and gas fields, coal mines, or mine extensions should be approved for development.
The treaty has three pillars:
- Non-proliferation: Prevent the proliferation of coal, oil and gas by ending all new exploration and production.
- Fair phase-out: Phase-out existing production of fossil fuels in line with the 1.5°C global climate goal.
- Just transition: Fast-track real solutions and a just transition for every worker, community and country.
The three pillars have been endorsed by 1,300 scientists and academics and 101 Nobel Laureates. The treaty has also built a campaign with a network of over 580 civil society organizations. KAIROS Canada endorsed the treaty in December 2020. A growing network of cities are also endorsing it. Vancouver became the first city in the world to do so and the City of Toronto passed a motion to endorse the treaty in July. These actions reflect the collaboration amongst cities decades ago in the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons.
Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty – Research and Publications
DAY of ACTION!
- Endorse the Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty as an individual.
- Start your own local campaign to get your municipality to endorse the Treaty. See tips and strategies from Climate Fast from the campaign in Toronto. See template letter to ask your Councillor to support a motion to endorse the Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty.
- Call on your federal candidate to endorse the Treaty. Learn more about this campaign from Team Climate 2021 and our friends at ClimateFast. Sign up for the campaign.