Kairos Regina is hosting a gathering to help you and your church community learn, share, and begin to plan a path forward to decarbonize your church. We will tackle the questions of why does this question matter from a theological Christian perspective, what are others already doing about this, and what practical resources are out there to help us get started. We hope you will join us!
Saturday, Oct. 15, 9:30–4:00 lunch included
Living Spirit Centre, 3018 Doan Dr., Regina
$25/in-person, $10 on-line
We will tackle the questions of why this question matters from a theological Christian perspective, what are others already doing about this, and what practical resources are out there to help us get started. We hope you will join us!
- Why does it matter for Christians to seek climate justice? How can our Places of Prayer reflect this reality?
Dr. Chris Hrynkow, Professor of Ecological Ethics, Director of the Centre for Faith, Reason, Peace, and Justice, St. Thomas More College, Saskatoon.
- “Deep retrofits” and how they can zero the emissions from different styles of church buildings.
Matt Dipple, P. Eng., Engineer and Building Consultant
- Panel: Local communities share experiences with getting started, auditing and planning, cutting energy use, and adding solar panels.
- Resource round-up: Be inspired by successful projects near and far; discover grants and publications from faith groups and governments; and meet the organizations ready to help.
- Next steps: Listening for the Spirit and finding the way for our faith communities to lead towards climate justice.
Register here for online or in person, which includes lunch. Please help us spread the word by printing and posting the attached flyer, circulating this email, and sharing the Facebook event or Instagram post.
In the leadup to that session, they offer these articles to prepare our hearts and minds for the deep transformation that is needed:
Agenda (in local Regina time, CST):
9:00 Coffee and Hospitality
9:30 Welcome, Prayer, Land Acknowledgement
9:45 Dr. Chris Hrynkow: Theological Foundations (lecture, discussion)
11:00 Panel Discussion: Local communities sharing energy project experiences.
- Broadway United Church: getting started; DIY energy audit
- Lumsden Beach Camp: energy savings and solar panels
- Soul’s Harbour Rescue Mission: low-energy building
- Celebration Church: solar panels
1:00 Success Stories video presentation
1:30 Matt Dipple: Deep Energy Retrofits
2:45 Resource Round-up
- Grants and Links: our collection of resources
- Saskatchewan Environmental Society
- KAIROS Canada
3:30 Plenary Discussion and Next Steps