ECOLOGICAL JUSTICE For the Love of Creation
A faith-based initiative for climate justice, bringing together Canadian faith communities and organizations under a unified banner to mobilize Canada-wide education, reflection, action and advocacy for climate justice.
For the Love of Creation is a national initiative, launched on Earth Day 2020, that invites Canadian faith communities and faith-based organizations to come together under a unified banner to mobilize education, reflection, action and advocacy for climate justice.
Through this collaboration we, as people of faith, hope to make a meaningful contribution in the next decade towards a sustainable future for all life on the planet. This contribution seeks to address the root causes of the climate emergency while also supporting those who are most impacted by it. Our contribution will also respond to feelings of ecological grief and eco-anxiety through pastoral care and ceremony, building community resilience, and by taking collective action for climate justice.
To date, For the Love of Creation brings together over 30 churches and faith-based organizations in Canada, including KAIROS, the Anglican Church of Canada, the Canadian Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), the Canadian Religious Conference, Citizens for Public Justice, Development and Peace – Caritas Canada, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, the Mennonite Central Committee, the Presbyterian Church in Canada, the Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund, and the United Church of Canada.
For the Love of Creation aims to engage people individually and in community, as congregations and organizations, across the country in a climate justice conversation centred on three themes:
- Theological reflection: Create a space for collaborative responsive theology in which our relationship with God and creation can be explored and questions asked to encourage theologically grounded and relevant conversations around climate justice
- Local and congregational engagement: Increase dialogue and reduce polarization in the climate change conversation in Canada in order to build more consensus on the actions we need to take (at the national level but also as organizations, individuals and communities) to build a sustainable future for all. Through our own commitments as organizations to reduce our own emissions, inspire and support individual and community level action for climate justice.
- Political advocacy. Urge the federal government to commit to stronger greenhouse gas emissions targets and invest in a just transition to a fair, inclusive, green economy, while honouring the rights of Indigenous peoples and supporting climate mitigation and adaptation in the Global South.
- Become an endorsing organization. Please contact Beth Lorimer, Convenor of the For the Love of Creation Working Group at email@example.com
- Join our mailing list
- Follow us on Facebook
Resources and Actions:
- Ethical Framework for post-COVID Recovery
- Visit the websites fortheloveof creation.ca and pourlamourdelacreation.ca.
Related Posts | Show all
The road to COP27 has begun. Listen to delegates on the KAIROS/ For Love of Creation Delegation