Position: Director of Operations
Status: Full-time (35 hours/week) permanent
Work Model (Location): Hybrid (Toronto/Ottawa)
Application Deadline: December 8, 2022
Posting Reference: KAIROS-22-16
KAIROS: Canadian Ecumenical Justice Initiatives is seeking an individual to fill the Director of Operations role on a full-time permanent basis (35 hours/week).
KAIROS: Canadian Ecumenical Justice Initiatives is an ecumenical movement for ecological justice and human rights. KAIROS includes three program Circles, a network of activists, and regional representatives, educators, and partners in Canada and around the world who help guide our work. We have offices in Toronto and Ottawa and remote home offices across the country.
The Director of Operations provides strategic leadership and guidance to achieve KAIROS’ mission by supporting operational activities. They will implement new resource development, processes, and protocol designs while managing for results. The Director of Operations will be accountable for organizational consistency and will provide oversight of the financial, human resources (HR) and information technology (IT) management departments of KAIROS. The Director of Operations will collaborate with a Senior Management Team and will report to KAIROS’ Executive Director.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
The Director of Operations will provide leadership oversight and administrative direction for the Finance, IT and HR departments.
- Operational Management
- Ensure the development and maintenance of good relations between the organization’s departments and key external institutions, including partner organizations and programs, key government representatives, technical working groups, donor agencies and other crucial relative nongovernmental bodies.
- Develop, recommend, implement, and evaluate operational policies and procedures for all areas of responsibility.
- Ensure all policies and procedures are in compliance with applicable local, provincial, federal regulations and laws governing non-profit operations.
- Read, interpret, review, and comply with all provincial and federal legislation pertaining to operations in areas of responsibility.
- Oversee the establishment, maintenance and monitoring of internal controls, as well as policies and procedures for all operations of responsibility.
- Direct the development and installation of operational standards, procedures, and controls to promote communication and adequate information flow for all financial and administrative areas of responsibility.
- Serve as a member of the Senior Management Team. Partner with the Executive Director and indirectly the Steering Committee in executing the development of long-range strategic plans for all areas of responsibility and an overall organizational strategic plan.
- Ensure that KAIROS conducts research and documents non-profit best practices for operations.
- Financial Management & Control
- Ensure that the control of expenditure and the disbursement of resources is in accordance with established procedures and maintain the financial and legal integrity of the organization.
- Provide progress and financial reports as required by the Executive Director, Steering Committee, donors, and the government according to KAIROS’s procedures and any other relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure that effective financial compliance systems, that are consistent with provincial and funding requirements are in place and adhered to.
- Oversee profit and loss, budget preparation and expenses, identifying areas of improvement.
- Oversee KAIROS’ financial management strategy and have direct accountability for the Department of Finance including for accounting, finance, forecasting, strategic planning, contract negotiations, banking relationships, partnerships compliance and private and institutional financing.
- Oversee the Information Technology function by providing oversight, direction and coordination related to organization-wide technology planning and utilization, to include integration of information systems, voice and data networks and telecommunications. Align and prioritize IT goals and projects with organizational objectives and strategies.
- Ensure a secure and quality IT infrastructure for the effective delivery of IT services across the organization without interruptions.
- Direct procedures and systems necessary to maintain proper records and to ensure adequate accounting internal controls and services that maximize operational efficiency and general operations.
- Develop standards to measure and evaluate KAIROS’ financial and operational performance and report results to senior management, Executive Director and Steering Committee.
- Human Resource Development & Management
- Maintain effective and appropriate staff recruitment, induction, appraisal, remuneration, development, and termination practice at all levels to ensure the optimum utilization and development of human resources, in line with KAIROS’s Human Resources Policies, and relevant provincial labor laws.
- Oversee the administrative property management functions, including, but not limited to, asset management, predictive maintenance systems, inventory management, preventive maintenance, capital improvement projects, procurement, regulatory compliance, and quality assurance.
- Assist in building and maintaining a sense of unity within the organization through articulating and sharing its vision, values, culture, and goals.
- Motivate the staff to be enthusiastic about their roles and responsibilities and responsive to donors, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the community it serves.
All KAIROS staff will exhibit practices that recognize and uphold principles of diversity, equity, inclusion (DEI), anti-colonialism, anti-racism, and anti-oppression (ARAO), exemplifying these principles in their day-to-day interactions with colleagues, partners, hosts, members, donors, supporters, and the public, and contribute to the organization’s DEI and ARAO development at the individual, team, and organizational levels.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or a related field.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills.
- A minimum of five (5) years experience in operations and finance, including experience in the nonprofit sector.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; outstanding attention to detail.
- Experience developing and managing budgets and preparing of projection plans.
- Demonstrated ability to build, manage and mentor high-performance teams.
- Highly effective decision-making skills.
- Strong operational capabilities.
- Ability to translate technical strategies to statements of business value.
- A minimum of five (5) years experience managing teams executing strategy in a senior role.
- Ability to build rapport and trust quickly.
- Adaptive and flexible.
- Experience advancing an organizational culture into one of inclusivity, and equity in a for-profit or not-for-profit, unionized environment.
- Proven experience in influencing senior management and key stakeholders effectively across the organization to invest in behavior and culture change that is rooted in systems, policy, and practice.
- A fundamental understanding of current issues and challenges facing individuals from under-served communities and historically underrepresented groups, with a particular focus on issues relating to racial, gender, climate, and migrant justice.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong interpersonal relationships at all levels of an organization.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management, analytical and decision-making skills, with a budget of $750,000 or more.
- Experience working in both unionized and non-unionized organizations an asset.
- High level of computer literacy with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Strong verbal, written and facilitation skills.
To request a copy of the full position description, please submit an email with “Position Description” in the subject line.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants are invited to submit their cover letter and resume with KAIROS-22-16 in the subject line.
As part of our ongoing commitment to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, KAIROS will aid employees who request accommodation throughout their employment with us, unless the position is deemed to be a bona fide occupational requirement and/or to the point of undue hardship considering issues of health, safety and cost.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and KAIROS’ Equity and Inclusion policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants and will contact the individuals selected for an interview. No phone calls please.