Important vote on UNDRIP bill – please urge your MP to support it!
The House of Commons will debate Bill C-262 on February 5 and vote on February 7 to decide whether or not it will pass second reading. The Bill would ensure that the laws of Canada are in harmony with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Please take action!
If you have not done so already, please contact your Member of Parliament and urge them to vote for Bill C-262. While the government of Canada has voiced its support for the bill, it’s imperative to keep up the pressure, even if your MP is a member of the Liberal Party.
Take action and follow the debate:
1. Send an email to your MP
- Sample message and email addresses are below. Find your MP here.
- The Honourable Jody Wilson-Raybould, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada: email@example.com
- Let them know you are watching and you want them to vote for Bill C-262!
2. Follow the debate
- Attend the House of Commons hearings in Ottawa. Debate is scheduled for February 5 at 3:00 p.m. EST. The vote will take place sometime on February 7 (Click here for the Projected Order of Business on the 7th to find out the time) OR
- Watch the proceedings online: ca/en/programs/house-of-commons.
If the bill passes second reading, it must pass a third reading and then a final vote in the House of Commons. Once that happens, it moves to the Senate.
Dear [MP NAME],
I am one of hundreds of Canadians who will be watching the vote on the second reading of Private Member’s Bill C-262: An Act to ensure that the laws of Canada are in harmony with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. I applaud the Government of Canada for its stated commitment to support Bill C-262 and the full adoption and implementation of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
I urge you to vote for the bill so that it passes second reading.
I will be watching with interest on February 7.
[NAME AND ADDRESS]